Mario Batali -- Molto Italiano; 4 servings.This recipe is simpler and lighter than what is typically seen for eggplant parmigiana. It can be served hot or at room temperature.
1/4 cup EVOO
2 large eggplant, about 1 lb each
salt and freshly ground pepper
3 cups of your favorite tomato sauce
1 bunch basil, stems removed and cut into think ribbons (chiffonade)
1 pound fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/4 inch slices (you need 12 slices)
1/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
1/4 cup lightly toasted bread crumbs
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Oil baking sheet with olive oil.
2. Cut each eggplant into 6 slices. Lightly season each disk with salt and pepper, and place on the oiled sheet.
3. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until deep brown on top. Transfer to a large plate or a platter and let cool. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees.
4. Arrange the 4 largest eggplant disks in a 9X12" baking pan, spacing them evenly. Spread 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce over each disk, and sprinkle each with a teaspoon of basil. Place 1 slice of mozzarella over each and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon parmigiano. Top with 4 more slices of eggplant and repeat the layering with the cheeses, tomato sauce, and basil, then repeat again, using the remaining basil and parmigiano, to make 4 medallions. Sprinkle the toasted breadcrumbs on top.
5. Bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and tops are lightly browned. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.